Halloween // Hosting my first Halloween Party!!! I *way* overplan things & this has been in the works for nearly 2 years. Anyone want to take a look at my plan & give me suggestions to improve it?

This is actually the first real party I've got to throw as an adult, so I'm very excited. My wife & I bought our first house last year & had planned on doing a Halloween/Housewarming party, but COVID killed that idea. The nearly 2 years to plan is why this is so thorough- feel free to steal any ideas you like & give me recommendations to improve/change things you don't like!

I've got parts in bold I could definitely use feedback on!

I've got a lot more detail than this planned out (I know, crazy...), but I did my best to condense it into a Reddit post.

Some of the Activities:

  • Cup decorating table. Pipe cleaners, tape, googly eyes, etc. Make people decorate their cups to drink. We'll be providing 3 punch containers- one alcohol free, one mildly alcoholic, & one "let's go ahead & take their keys".
  • Tempt your fate- Guest bedroom will be filled with balloons. Each balloon will have a "fate" in it (e.g. "You have tempted fate & fate wants you to steal. You must steal an accessory off someone's costume within 10 minutes & set it on fate's table. If you are caught, do a shot chosen by the person you tried to steal from.") I could use as many fate suggestions as you can throw at me!! Especially ones that get people interacting with others.
  • Monster money- Throughout the night, there will be ways to earn "monster money" for different things like winning costume contests, beer pong, completing fates, etc. There will be prizes for most monster money at the end of the night & also a lottery people can "buy" tickets for with increasing prices throughout the night. ($1 first hour of the party, steadily increasing to $10 by the last few minutes before the drawing.)
  • Jack-o-latern plates- So people don't have to carry around the monster money, we'll have envelopes & plates on a table. We'll be asking people to put the plate on their head & attempt to draw a Jack-o-latern, then tape the envelope to the bottom to hold the money. These plates will then be hung on the wall.
  • Best-of voting- Votes for things like best costume, best cup, best & worst jack-o-latern, etc. Best costume gets a big prize, the others get a nice pile of monster money. Costume prizes like funniest, most creative, etc. will be selected by judges with that fate card. (Some of the fate cards will make the person receiving it the sole judge for a certain category.)
  • Ultimate werewolf- Mafia/secret Hitler-esque game with a werewolf theme. Will gather the entire party to play a round, as it can have up to 75 players.

Schedule:

  • 7:00- Party start
  • 7:30- Beer Pong tournament starts (casually run throughout the night)
  • 8:00- Tempt your fate round 1; food arrives
  • 8:30-
  • 9:00- Ultimate Werewolf; Hand out voting cards along with game cards for things like best costume & cup
  • 9:30-
  • 10:00- Tempt your fate round 2
  • 10:30- Monster Money tally
  • 11:00- Monster Money lottery draw
  • 11:30-
  • 12:00- Party finished, go home!

I've got a playlist already put together to help keep things on track. Every hour, on the hour, the Stranger Things theme song starts playing & will cue people to gather in the living room for that hour's planned activity. I tried to strike a good balance of free time to just chill, talk, & dance with structured activities to get people interacting with each other.

We're planning on roughly 30 people & our budget at the moment is broken down to:

  • $300 for food
  • $150 for decorations (we already have some, just will be adding to the collection)
  • $300 for drinks
  • $200 for prizes
  • $300 for unplanned expenses

Food:

  • 10 large pizzas
    • 4 Pepperoni
    • 2 Cheese
    • 1 Veggie
    • 1 Meat
    • 1 Hawaiian
    • 1 Deluxe
  • Parmesan potatoes
  • Jalapeño poppers
  • (I feel like we could use one other "main" option that isn't pizza. Suggestions?)

Snacks:

  • Nutter butter ghosts
  • Pigs in a blanket
  • Cupcakes
  • Graveyard cake
  • Grapes
  • Strawberries (some chocolate, some plain)
  • Candy corn
  • Caramel corn
  • Chocolate truffles
  • Brownies
  • Pretzel Bites

Prizes:

  • Most Monster Money
    • Bottle of my Home-brewed Mead
    • 19 crimes wine
    • Skelly tequila
    • Fancy caramel/candy apple
    • Gift card to movie theater or other local entertainment
    • 3D printed trophy
  • Best Costume
    • Vampire wine
    • Bottle of my home-brewed mead
    • Fancy caramel/candy apple
    • Fall scented candle
    • Assorted candy
    • $20 monster money
    • 3D printed trophy
  • Monster Lottery
    • Crystal skull vodka
    • Bottle of my home-brewed mead
  • Random costume categories (I could use ideas for others!) Each of these winners will receive $10 monster money
    • Funniest
    • Best hand-made
    • Most creative
    • Best couple

~`~

Alright, seeing all of this in a single post makes me realize how obsessive about this I am, lmao. But I figured if any other group of people would think it's not absolutely insane, it's this subreddit!



Comments