Halloween // Any tips for a generally shy person planning to audition to be a haunted house actor?

I’m not sure if anybody on this subreddit has any experience in being a scare actor, but I couldn’t find many other subreddits to post this in so I thought I’d just try here.

This September I’m planning to attend an audition at a haunted house near me. It isn’t anything big like Halloween Horror Nights or Fright Fest so they will accept most people. I’ve heard from an actor at this particular haunted house as well that they mostly hire everybody. I’ve always wanted to be a scare actor, however with most places the minimum age is 18. I recently turned 18 a couple months ago so this is big for me: I can finally audition. I’ve been going to this haunted house for many years now and I know it in and out, so I feel it’s the perfect place for me to work.

The only issue is: I’m a generally shy person. Around my family and friends, I’m very loud and don’t have a problem. However, with new people and crowds it’s a different story. In school when we used to have presentations in front of the class, that alone used to make me extremely nervous that I’d consider somehow skipping that particular class. I have since gotten a little bit better with getting less nervous, and over these months leading up to September I’m going to work on stepping out of my comfort zone, trying to act less shy when talking to people, etc. I’m also going to try to practice acting. I do feel I do a pretty good job with acting creepy, I can make my voice sound pretty scary and I have some pretty good lines. I’ve been watching auditions on YouTube and they look pretty scary. Depending on the haunted house, they will make you do different things. Sometimes along with the other people auditioning, sometimes one at a time. Like I mentioned before, this isn’t Halloween Horror Nights or some big haunt, so I’d imagine it’d be a little different. However I know I’m still going to be doing something, so I can’t help but be a little nervous.

I’m very excited to finally be close to getting a job as a scare actor (if everything works out), however the thought of these auditions is making me nervous. Does anybody here have some tips and pointers they can give me about auditioning for a scare actor as a generally shy/reserved people? I know stepping out of my comfort zone and letting go of the fear of being embarrassed and looking weird is a big part of the whole thing.

Any other tips? Personal experiences? Thanks in advanced!



Comments